Postdoctoral Research Associate
Postdoc @ IHEP-CAS
Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate
Base: Experimental Physics Divition, Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (EPD-IHEP-CAS), Yuquan Road 19B, Beijing 10037, China
Project: Jiangmen Underground Neutrino Observatory (JUNO)
URL for sharing: InspireHEP-Jobs
The Experimental Physics Division at the Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (EPD-IHEP-CAS) invites applicaitons for two Postdoctoral Research Associates with experience in particle physics data analysis or machine learning. The successful candidates will collaborate with Dr. Xuefeng Ding, Associate Research Fellow of particle physics and nuclear physics at EPD-IHEP-CAS on the renowned Jiangmen Underground Neutrino Observatory (JUNO) experiment.
Previous research by the JUNO collaboration has demonstrated that JUNO is expected to achieve a 2 MeV detection threshold for B-8 solar neutrino detection and may explore the MSW transition region. Moreover, it may enhance the precision of CNO solar neutrino mesaurements when the liquid scintillator purification level is sufficient. Current work of Dr. Ding focuses on assessing the detector response, optimizing background suppresion algorithms, and evaluating the physics potential for non-standard interactions.
The successful candidates will be expected to contribute significantly to two or more of the following areas:
- Comissioning data analysis and software development
- Leading the liquid scintillator and cosmogenic background analysis
- Leading the solar neutrino physics analysis
- Developing machine learning pipelines for solar neutrino and supernovae neutrino analysis
- A PhD degree in particle physics data analysis or Machine learning.
- Experience in C++ or Python software development
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in English (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
- Knowledge of Chinese is not required.
- Experience with data analysis tools and software commonly used in experimental physics, such as CERN ROOT.
- Familiarity with detector technologies and instrumentation used in neutrino experiments.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and machine learning techniques.
Salary and Contract:
- 400k CNY/year (around 57k USD/year as of May.11.2023).
- The initial contract will be made for two years, with the possibility of renewal for an additional 1-2 years.
- Competative Fellowship programs (see Domestic and international) are available, and succesful candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please submit the following documents to apply for this position:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position, relevant experience, and research goals.
- A comprehensive research statement outlining your past research accomplishments, current research interests, and future research plans within the context of the JUNO project
- A curriculum vitae (CV) including your educational background, work experience, publications, and contact information.
- Three letters of recommendation
Please submit your application materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Postdoc application - JUNO”. The review of the applicaiton will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application start: May 11, 2023
Application Deadline: September 11, 2023
We look forward to receiving your application and exploring the possibility of you joining our dynamic team at the Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences.